Sunday, July 1, 2018
Scott scampers to Devils Lake domination
By: Jeff Nun
Scott scampers to Devils Lake domination
By: Jeff Nun
Johnny Scott pulled away from the field Saturday night at the Devils Lake Speedway and in the national championship standings of the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by Summit.
After taking the lead from Dustin Strand with three laps in the books, Scott waded through four caution flags during the first 11 laps and then ran away and hid from his chasers over the final 29 laps to score his sixth victory of the season and 37th of his USMTS career.
Including his Rancho Milagro bonus money, Scott pocketed $3,475 for his efforts in the inaugural event at the 1/3-mile semi-banked clay oval in Crary, N.D., and the 28-year-old Las Cruces, N.M., native now living in Cameron, Mo., has padded his points lead over Jake O’Neil to more than 100.
Scott’s twin brother Stormy Scott climbed from seventh on the starting grid to claim the runner-up paycheck while Strand held on for a third-place finish—his best USMTS showing.
Lap 2 of the main event saw a multi-car pileup that collected title contenders Terry Phillips and Rodney Sanders. Phillips was sidelined for the rest of the contest while Sanders rejoined the race at the back of the pack.
Ryan Gustin took the fourth spot at the checkered flags. Zack VanderBeek finished fifth after starting 19th and Sanders rebounded to get to sixth place at the finish line. Dereck Ramirez, Lucas Schott, Travis Saurer and Tyler Peterson rounded out the top 10.
Johnny Scott also won Thursday’s show at the Nobles County Speedway in Worthington, Minn., and only a second-place finish after starting 17th on Friday night at the Brown County Speedway in Aberdeen, S.D., kept him from a clean sweep of the weekend.
With 22 of 40 events completed the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup points shows Johnny Scott leading O’Neil by 123 markers (1,944 to 1,821) while Sanders is another 41 points back in third. VanderBeek sits fourth with 1,778 points, followed by Stormy Scott (1,768), Ramirez (1,699), Schott (1,684), Phillips (1,678), Adam Kates (1,202) and Joe Duvall (1,158) in the top 10.
The stars and cars of the United States Modified Touring Series will be on summer vacation for the next 16 days before returning to action on Tuesday, July 17, for the 12th Annual Hamilton County Hullabaloo presented by Casey's General Stores at the Hamilton County Speedway in Webster City, Iowa. Then on Wednesday, July 18, the series returns to the Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa, for the 11th Annual USMTS Summer Classic.
The final event during the month of July will take place Friday and Saturday, July 20-21, for the 8th Annual Silver Dollar Nationals at the I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Neb.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by Summit
Inaugural Event presented by Ironhide
Devils Lake Speedway, Crary, N.D.
Saturday, June 30, 2018
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. All drivers advanced to the Casey’s General Stores “A” Main with the top 8 redrawing for the first 8 starting spots.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (3) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (5) 1st Johnny Scott, Cameron, Mo.
3. (1) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn.
4. (8) 5k Kyle Prauner (R), Norfolk, Neb.
5. (2) 77r Ryan Schroeder, Devil's Lake, N.D.
6. (4) 19sb Lance Mari (R), Imperial, Calif.
7. (7) 36 Ryan Cousins, Morden, Man., Canada.
8. (6) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (4) 0 Jake O'Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz.
2. (1) 71s Dustin Strand, Grand Forks, N.D.
3. (2) 1tpo Tyler Peterson, Hickson, N.D.
4. (3) 20 Rodney Sanders, Worthington, Minn.
5. (5) 17 Lance Schill, Langdon, N.D.
6. (7) 22m Davey Mills, Bemidji, Minn.
7. (8) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
8. (6) 27 Chris Unrau, Winkler, Man., Canada.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (6) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
2. (1) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (7) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
4. (4) 5g Scott Greer, East St. Paul, Man., Canada.
5. (5) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
6. (2) 7 Danny Staff, East St. Paul, Man., Canada.
7. (3) 8c Chris Clark, Jackson, Wyo.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (5) 1st Johnny Scott, Cameron, Mo., VanderBuilt/Durham, 40, $3475.
2. (7) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., VanderBuilt/Mullins, 40, $2150.
3. (2) 71s Dustin Strand, Grand Forks, N.D., Millenium/Adams, 40, $1000.
4. (4) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/TriStar, 40, $1000.
5. (19) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput’s, 40, $1225.
6. (11) 20 Rodney Sanders, Worthington, Minn., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $1120.
7. (3) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, 40, $1015.
8. (8) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Hill, 40, $910.
9. (9) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/Dakota, 39, $450.
10. (10) 1tpo Tyler Peterson, Hickson, N.D., BlackWidow/ProPower, 39, $400.
11. (6) 0 Jake O'Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, 39, $780.
12. (12) 5g Scott Greer, East St. Paul, Man., Canada, MBCustoms/Millar, 39, $300.
13. (15) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 39, $725.
14. (13) 77r Ryan Schroeder, Devils Lake, N.D., MasterSbilt/Dakota, 39, $250.
15. (20) 36 Ryan Cousins, Morden, Man., Canada, MBCustoms/Millar, 39, $250.
16. (21) 8c Chris Clark, Jackson, Wyo., GRT/PerfAuto, 38, $300.
17. (1) 5k Kyle Prauner (R), Norfolk, Neb., Razor/ChevPerf, 35, $300.
18. (17) 19sb Lance Mari (R), Imperial, Calif., MRT/Yeoman, 28, $300.
19. (23) 27 Chris Unrau, Winkler, Man., Canada, GRT/Millar, 12, $250.
20. (22) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 2, $695.
21. (16) 22m Davey Mills, Bemidji, Minn., Millenium/Adams, 2, $250.
22. (18) 7 Danny Staff, East Saint Paul, Man., Canada, /, 2, $250.
23. (14) 17 Lance Schill, Langdon, N.D., MBCustoms/Tim’s, 2, $250.
(R) = Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Strand 1-3, J. Scott 4-40.
Total Laps Led: J. Scott 37, Strand 3.
Margin of Victory: 2.726 seconds.
Time of Race: 22 minutes, 57.089 seconds (4 cautions).
Provisional Starters: None.
Eibach Spring Forward Award: VanderBeek (advanced 15 positions).
FK Rod Ends Hard Charger: VanderBeek (started 19th, finished 5th).
Next Race: Tuesday, July 17, Hamilton County Speedway, Webster City, Iowa.
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup Points: J. Scott 1944, O'Neil 1821, Sanders 1780, VanderBeek 1778, S. Scott 1768, Ramirez 1699, Schott 1684, Phillips 1678, Kates 1202, Joe Duvall 1158.
Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year Points: O'Neil 1821, Carlos Ahumada Jr. 760, Mari 721, Zane Ferrell 692, Billy Vogel 610.
USMTS Engine Builder of the Year Points: Durham 203, Sput’s 175, Cornett 157, Mullins 152, Hatfield 141.
USMTS Manufacturers Championship Points: VanderBuilt 228, MBCustoms 217, GRT 160, Hughes 160, LG2 154.
American Racer – Phillips.
Beyea Custom Headers – Sanders.
BSB Manufacturing – Mills.
Casey’s General Stores – Peterson.
Champ Pans – VanderBeek.
Deatherage Opticians – Greer.
E3 Spark Plugs – Strand.
Edelbrock – Schott.
Eibach – VanderBeek.
Fast Shafts – O’Neil.
FK Rod Ends – VanderBeek.
Forty9 Designs – Schroeder, Unrau.
GRT Race Cars – Unrau.
Hooker Harness – Kates.
Integra Shocks & Springs – Mari.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Cousins.
Keyser Manufacturing – Peterson.
KSE Racing Products – Prauner.
Maxima Racing Oils – J. Scott.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Phillips.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Clark.
QA1 – Schill.
RacerWebsite.com – Prauner.
Real Racing Wheels – Schill.
RHRSwag.com – Schott.
Simpson Performance Products – S. Scott.
Swift Springs – J. Scott, Strand.
Sybesma Graphics – Prauner.
Tire Demon – O’Neil.
VP Racing Fuels – J. Scott.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products – J. Scott.
Wilwood Disc Brakes – Ramirez.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: Alpinestars, American Racer Racing Tires, Argo Manufacturing, Casey’s General Stores, Chevrolet Performance, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Intercomp, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, KSE Racing Products, Leaf Racewear & Safety Equipment, Malvern Bank, Mesilla Valley Transportation, MSD Performance, Nitroquest Media, Pace Performance, RacinDirt.com, S&S Fishing & Rental, Summit Racing Equipment, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, Eagle Moon Farm, ElbowsUp.com, Evolution Powersports, Oreo Cookies, PBM Performance Products, Production Jars, Rancho Milagro Racing, River’s Edge Scrap Management, Snickers, Spike Hardcore Energy, Top of the World Ranch, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, Brown & Miller Racing Solutions, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, Edelbrock, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Holley Performance Products, Hooker Harness, Integra Shocks & Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, Maxima Racing Oils, Mr. Gasket, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, RHRSwag.com, Simpson Performance Products, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wehrs Machine & Race Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.