VanderBeek-to-Beek-to-Beek in Badgerland
By: Jeff Nun
OSHKOSH, Wis. (July 13) -- The USMTS Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry continued with Round 3 at the Oshkosh Speedzone Raceway and Zack VanderBeek continued his mastery of the Bay area ovals with his third win in as many nights.
And in capturing his 42nd career United States Modified Touring Series, the 'Z-Man' moved into a tie with Tommy Myer for fifth on the series' all-time wins list.
Defending USRA Modified national champion Lucas Schott snagged the Sybesma Pole Award and pulled out to lead the first couple of laps before VanderBeek pounced, and then proceeded to pace the final 38 circuits en route to another $3,000 payday.
Four cautions kept his pursuers' hopes alive, but the night belonged to Vanderbeek. But behind the 32-year-old three-peater from New Sharon, Iowa, there was plenty for the fans to keep their eyes on.
Austin Arneson finished more than four seconds behind the winner, but it was enough to secure the runner-up paycheck while Ryan Gustin was just one car-length back in third.
Gustin, who started 15th on the 24-car grid, earned his third KSE Racing Products Hard Charger Award of the 2017 campaign, while rookie Cory Mahder came from 11th to grab fourth and veteran Brian Mullen passed seven cars on his way to a top-five result.
Fourteenth-starting Cade Dillard was sixth, Schott held on for seventh, Dereck Ramirez claimed the eighth spot, Mike Mullen nabbed ninth and Jake Timm rounded out the top 10 on the semi-banked 1/3-mile clay oval at the Sunnyview Expo Center in Oshkosh, Wis.
VanderBeek's sixth win this season on the Casey's USMTS National Tour powered by S&S Fishing & Rental was his fourth straight in the RHRSwag.com USMTS Northern Region presented by Summit Racing Equipment.
With that, he has officially clinched the regional points title with tomorrow's Badgerland Summer Shootout finale and a make-up date at the Mason City Motor Speedway on Aug. 13 still on the to-do list.
Dillard holds down the second position but is 158 markers behind VanderBeek-an insurmountable margin if VanderBeek simply shows up at the next two shows in the region. Gustin is third with 691 points, followed by Jason Hughes (682), Timm (679), Ramirez (620), Stormy Scott (609), Jacob Bleess (600), Curt Myers (523) and Cory Crapser (515).
The USMTS Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry wraps up with Round 4 on Friday night at the Plymouth Dirt Track in Plymouth, Wis.-another new track for the USMTS.
Pits open at 4:00 and spectator gates open at 5:00 with racing at 7:00. Adults are $20, students ages 12-15 are $5 and children 11 and under are free when accompanied by an adult. Pit passes are $30.
In addition to the USMTS Modifieds, the "Cheese Capital Checkered Chase" will feature the Cowbell Street Stock Tour and Grand Nationals.
The Plymouth Dirt Track is a semi-banked 1/3-mile clay oval located east of SR 67 on SR 23, then 0.5 mile south on CR O in Plymouth, Wis. (at Sheboygan County Fair Park). For more information, call (920) 893-5751 or visit www.plymouthdtr.com online.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
Casey's USMTS National Tour powered by S&S Fishing & Rental - RHRSwag.com USMTS Northern Region presented by Summit Racing Equipment
Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry - Round #3 of 4
Oshkosh Speedzone Raceway, Oshkosh, Wis.
Thursday, July 13, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (8) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
2. (1) 00 Robby Bunkelman, Abbotsford, Wis.
3. (7) 05M Mike Mashl, DePere, Wis.
4. (4) 40 Brian Crapser, Brookfield, Wis.
5. (6) 0 Zack Drews (R), Superior, Wis.
6. (9) 10B Ryan Besaw, Omro, Wis.
7. (5) 7H Marcus Hoeppner, Rubicon, Wis.
8. (3) 4K Kyle Kudick (R), Two Rivers, Wis.
9. (10) 19R Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
10. (2) 444 Tanner Byholm, Glidden, Wis.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (4) 99M Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis.
2. (2) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn.
3. (1) 72M Brian Mullen, Seymour, Wis.
4. (6) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
5. (7) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
6. (3) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis.
7. (5) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
8. (8) 15s Don Scheffler, Milwaukee, Wis.
DNS - 72 Justin Ritchie (R), New London, Wis.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (4) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
3. (1) 4 Bill Byholm, Glidden, Wis.
4. (2) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
5. (5) 68 Tom Robbins, Ripon, Wis.
6. (6) 451 Tim Robbins, Rosendale, Wis.
7. (3) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
8. (8) 58 Marcus Yarie, Wausau, Wis.
DNS - 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
THE JOIE OF SEATING HEAT RACE #4 (7 laps):
1. (5) 10 Austin Arneson, Fargo, N.D.
2. (3) 1M Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
3. (6) 21 Jacob Bleess (R), Chatfield, Minn.
4. (9) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis.
5. (7) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
6. (4) 10 Paul Parker, De Pere, Wis.
7. (8) 24G Greg Gretz, Kewaunee, Wis.
8. (2) 5x Joey Taycher, Appleton, Wis.
9. (1) 13 Eddie Lemay Jr., Milwaukee, Wis.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #1 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (3) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (11) 19R Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
3. (2) 40 Brian Crapser, Brookfield, Wis.
4. (1) 4 Bill Byholm, Glidden, Wis.
5. (8) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
6. (7) 24G Greg Gretz, Kewaunee, Wis., Slick/ChevPerf, $75.
7. (4) 0 Zack Drews (R), Superior, Wis., Lethal/Tim's, $90.
8. (9) 4K Kyle Kudick (R), Two Rivers, Wis.
9. (6) 451 Tim Robbins, Rosendale, Wis., Hothead/Robbins, $75.
10. (5) 68 Tom Robbins, Ripon, Wis., MadMan/Robbins, $75.
11. (10) 58 Marcus Yarie, Wausau, Wis., Banshee/Yarie, $75.
DNS - 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $400.
DNS - 444 Tanner Byholm, Glidden, Wis., MBCustoms/Tim's, $75.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN #2 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
2. (2) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
3. (3) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
4. (4) 10B Ryan Besaw, Omro, Wis.
5. (5) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis.
6. (8) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
7. (11) 13 Eddie Lemay Jr., Milwaukee, Wis., Pro/Wheeler, $75.
8. (10) 5x Joey Taycher, Appleton, Wis., B&B/Extreme, $75.
9. (7) 7H Marcus Hoeppner, Rubicon, Wis., Victory/Tiry's, $75.
10. (9) 15s Don Scheffler, Milwaukee, Wis., Rayburn/Tiry's, $75.
11. (6) 10 Paul Parker, De Pere, Wis., MadMan/ChevPerf, $75.
DNS - 72 Justin Ritchie (R), New London, Wis., Banshee/AEB, $90.
CASEY'S GENERAL STORES "A" MAIN (40 laps):
1. (4) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput's, 40, $3000.
2. (5) 10 Austin Arneson, Fargo, N.D., GRT/ChevPerf, 40, $1700.
3. (15) 19R Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $1200.
4. (11) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis., MBCustoms/Power Line, 40, $1000.
5. (12) 72M Brian Mullen, Seymour, Wis., Harris/Baril, 40, $800.
6. (14) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustoms/ASI, 40, $800.
7. (1) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput's, 40, $700.
8. (6) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, 40, $650.
9. (2) 99M Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis., MadMan/Competition, 40, $600.
10. (10) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput's, 40, $550.
11. (13) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Mullins, 40, $500.
12. (18) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis., MBCustoms/Troy's, 40, $450.
13. (20) 10B Ryan Besaw, Omro, Wis., Razor/Karl, 40, $350.
14. (8) 05M Mike Mashl, DePere, Wis., MBCustoms/Baril, 40, $325.
15. (19) 4 Bill Byholm, Glidden, Wis., MBCustoms/Koch, 40, $300.
16. (17) 40 Brian Crapser, Brookfield, Wis., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, 40, $275.
17. (16) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $325.
18. (22) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis., Outlaw/ChevPerf, 40, $300.
19. (21) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., MBCustoms/, 40, $300.
20. (9) 00 Robby Bunkelman, Abbotsford, Wis., Rocket/Baxter, 39, $300.
21. (24) 4K Kyle Kudick (R), Two Rivers, Wis., Taylor/Competition, 39, $300.
22. (23) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 39, $300.
23. (7) 21 Jacob Bleess (R), Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput's, 25, $400.
24. (3) 1M Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis., LG2/Sput's, 6, $400.
(R) = Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Schott 1-2, VanderBeek 3-40.
Total Laps Led: VanderBeek 38, Schott 2.
Margin of Victory: 4.102 seconds.
Time of Race: 23 minutes, 33.507 seconds ( cautions).
Provisional Starters: Kates, Kudick.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Gustin (started 15th, finished 3rd).
Next Race: Friday, July 14, Plymouth Dirt Track, Plymouth, Wis.
RHRSwag.com Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 883, Dillard 725, Gustin 691, Hughes 682, Timm 679, Ramirez 620, Scott 609, Bleess 600, Myers 523, C. Crapser 515.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: R.C. Whitwell 1894, Travis Saurer 1766, Tyler Wolff 1685, Kates 1364, Billy Vogel 982.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 327, Sput's 283, ASI 274, Durham 206, Hatfield 185.
Manufacturers Championship Points: MBCustoms 332, Hughes 324, VanderBuilt 287, GRT 283, LG2 226.
Allstar Performance - Ramirez.
American Racer - Mashl.
Beyea Custom Headers - Arneson.
BigDeal Car Care - VanderBeek.
BSB Manufacturing - Kudick.
Casey's General Stores - T. Byholm.
Chix Gear Racewear - M. Mullen.
Day Motor Sports - Bleess, Myers.
Deatherage Opticians - C. Crapser.
Dickson Racing Shocks - B. Byholm.
E3 Spark Plugs - Gustin.
Edelbrock - VanderBeek.
Fast Shafts - M. Mullen.
Forty9Designs.com - Mashl, Oertel.
Fuel Safe Racing Cells - Dillard.
GRT Race Cars - Arneson.
Hooker Custom Harness - Besaw.
Integra Shocks & Springs - Smith.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts - Fuller.
Keyser Manufacturing - Timm.
KSE Racing Products - Gustin.
Out-Pace Racing Products - B. Crapser.
QA1 - Drews.
Real Racing Wheels - all non-qualifiers.
Simpson Performance Products - Ramirez.
Sweet Manufacturing - Kates.
Swift Springs - VanderBeek.
Sybesma Graphics - Schott.
Tire Demon - Scott.
Tyler Rinken Photography - Bunkelman.
VP Racing Fuels - Arneson.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products - M. Mullen.
Wilwood Engineering - Schott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Argo Manufacturing, Casey's General Stores, Chix Gear Racewear, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Fast Shafts, Intercomp, KSE Racing Products, Leaf Racewear & Safety Equipment, Malvern Bank, MSD, Pace Performance, RacerWebsite.com, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, S&S Fishing & Rental, SToK Cold-Brew Coffee, Summit Racing Equipment, The Joie of Seating, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, ElbowsUp.com, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Oreo, Production Jars, Rancho Milagro Racing, RHRSwag.com, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, BigDeal Car Care, BSB Manufacturing, Day Motor Sports, Dickson Racing Shocks, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Holley Performance Products, Hooker Custom Harness, Integra Shocks & Springs, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, Keyser Manufacturing, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1 Precision Products, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wehrs Machine & Race Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes