VanderBeek midweek chic at Francis Creek
By: Jeff Nun
FRANCIS CREEK, Wis. (July 12) -- Zack VanderBeek made it two in a row Wednesday night with a victory at the 141 Speedway near Francis Creek, Wis., during Round 2 of the USMTS Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry.
After earning the Sybesma Graphics Pole Award, the 32-year-old from New Sharon, Iowa, grabbed the lead when the green flag waved to start the 40-lap feature race, but it was a short-lived stint at the front.
With two laps complete, outside front row starter Dereck Ramirez squirted past VanderBeek and took control.
Ramirez was able to stay up front for the next 15 laps until VanderBeek reclaimed the top spot.
A caution with seven laps to go kept the field bunched, but just like 24 hours earlier it did not deter 'The Z-Man' from claiming the $3,000 winner's paycheck.
It was VanderBeek's 41st career USMTS victory, breaking a tie with Stormy Scott for sixth on the all-time wins list and leaving him one shy of matching Tommy Myer's career total of 42.
Wednesday's win was also his fifth of the season and third straight in the RHRSwag.com USMTS Northern Region presented by Summit Racing Equipment, dating back to last month's Prelude to the Masters.
Ramirez came up a car-length shy of claiming his first win of the year while Cade Dillard, Ryan Gustin and Lucas Schott completed the top five.
Cory Mahder was sixth, Mike Mullen passed seven cars to score the seventh spot, Jake Timm was eighth, Jacob Bleess wound up ninth and T.J. Smith garnered his first top 10 finish in just his second USMTS start, and also earned the KSE Racing Products Hard Charger Award.
Round 3 of the USMTS Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry takes place Thursday night at the Oshkosh Speedzone Raceway in Oshkosh, Wis.
Adult tickets are $20 and students ages 11-15 are just $10. Pit passes are $30. Pit gates open at 4:00, grandstands open at 5:00, hot laps start at 6:30 and the green flag waves at 7:00.
Stock Cars and the Cow Bell Street Stock Tour will join the USMTS Modifieds on the racing card.
The Oshkosh Speedzone Raceway is a semi-banked 1/3-mile clay oval located off of US 41 at exit 124, the southeast on US 76 (Jackson St.), then 0.8 mile south, then 0.5 mile east on CR Y in Oshkosh, Wis. (at the Sunnyview Expo Center). For more information, call (920) 426-1111 on race day or check out www.oshkoshspeedzone.net on the World Wide Web.
The fourth and final round happens Friday at the Plymouth Dirt Track. Pits open at 4:00 and spectator gates open at 5:00 with racing at 7:00. Adults are $20, students ages 12-15 are $5 and children 11 and under are free when accompanied by an adult. Pit passes are $30.
In addition to the USMTS Modifieds, the "Cheese Capital Checkered Chase" will feature the Cowbell Street Stock Tour and Grand Nationals.
The Plymouth Dirt Track is a semi-banked 1/3-mile clay oval located east of SR 67 on SR 23, then 0.5 mile south on CR O in Plymouth, Wis. (at Sheboygan County Fair Park). For more information, call (920) 893-5751 or visit www.plymouthdtr.com online.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
Casey's USMTS National Tour powered by S&S Fishing & Rental - RHRSwag.com USMTS Northern Region presented by Summit Racing Equipment
Badgerland Summer Shootout presented by Prestige Custom Cabinetry - Round #2 of 4
141 Speedway, Francis Creek, Wis.
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (3) 21 Jacob Bleess (R), Chatfield, Minn.
4. (7) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn.
5. (4) 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa.
6. (6) 00 Robby Bunkelman, Abbotsford, Wis.
7. (5) 4k Kyle Kudick, Two Rivers, Wis.
DNS - 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (3) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
2. (1) 10 Austin Arneson, Fargo, N.D.
3. (4) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis.
4. (5) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
5. (6) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
6. (7) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
7. (2) 72 Justin Ritchie (R), New London, Wis.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
2. (2) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (3) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
4. (7) 1M Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
5. (5) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis.
6. (4) 99M Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis.
7. (6) 25 Mike Simons II (R), Genoa City, Wis.
REAL RACING WHEELS "B" MAIN (10 laps, all advance):
1. (1) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
2. (5) 99M Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis.
3. (3) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
4. (6) 72 Justin Ritchie (R), New London, Wis.
5. (4) 00 Robby Bunkelman, Abbotsford, Wis.
6. (2) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis.
DNS - 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa.
DNS - 4k Kyle Kudick (R), Two Rivers, Wis.
DNS - 25 Mike Simons II (R), Genoa City, Wis.
DNS - 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
CASEY'S GENERAL STORES "A" MAIN (40 laps):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sputs, 40, $3000.
2. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, 40, $1700.
3. (5) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustom/ASI, 40, $1200.
4. (12) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $1000.
5. (4) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustom/Sputs, 40, $900.
6. (3) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis., MBCustom/PowerLine, 40, $800.
7. (14) 99M Mike Mullen, Suamico, Wis., MadMan/Competition, 40, $700.
8. (7) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn., MBCustom/Sputs, 40, $650.
9. (10) 21 Jacob Bleess (R), Chatfield, Minn., MBCustom/Sputs, 40, $600.
10. (18) 69 T.J. Smith (R), Menasha, Wis., Outlaw/ChevPerf, 39, $550.
11. (15) 18 Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., Hughes/Mullins, 39, $500.
12. (6) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Mullins, 33, $450.
13. (11) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 33, $425.
14. (8) 10 Austin Arneson, Fargo, N.D., GRT/ChevPerf, 32, $400.
15. (13) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., MBCustom/Tomcat, 32, $375.
16. (17) 00 Robby Bunkelman, Abbotsford, Wis., Rocket/Baxter, 40, $350.
17. (16) 72 Justin Ritchie (R), New London, Wis., Banshee/AEB, 40, $325.
18. (9) 1M Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis., LG2/Sputs, 40, $300.
DNS - 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa, SSR/Midnight, 0, $90.
DNS - 4k Kyle Kudick (R), Two Rivers, Wis., Taylor/Competition, 0, $90.
DNS - Mike Simons II (R), Genoa City, Wis., MS/TNT, 0, $90.
DNS - 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 0, $400.
(R) = Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: VanderBeek 1-2, Ramirez 3-17, VanderBeek 18-40.
Total Laps Led: VanderBeek 25, Ramirez 15.
Margin of Victory: 0.365 second.
Time of Race: 17 minutes, 30 seconds (2 cautions).
Provisional Starters: none.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Smith (started 18th, finished 10th).
Next Race: Thursday, July 13, Oshkosh Speedzone Raceway, Oshkosh, Wis.
RHRSwag.com Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 780, Dillard 644, Hughes 637, Timm 607, Gustin 600, Bleess 549, Ramirez 544, Scott 539, Myers 473, Crapser 447.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: R.C. Whitwell 1894, Travis Saurer 1766, Tyler Wolff 1685, Kates 1357, Billy Vogel 982.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 319, Sputs 273, ASI 269, Durham 206, Hatfield 185.
Manufacturers Championship Points: MBCustoms 325, Hughes 316, VanderBuilt 277, GRT 274, LG2 221.
Allstar Performance - Timm.
American Racer - Bunkelman.
Beyea Custom Headers - Ramirez.
BigDeal Car Care - VanderBeek.
BSB Manufacturing - Simons.
Casey's General Stores - Ritchie.
Chix Gear Racewear - Bleess.
Day Motor Sports - Bumgardner, Kudick.
Deatherage Opticians - Scott.
Dickson Racing Shocks - Oertel.
E3 Spark Plugs - Dillard.
Edelbrock - Schott.
Fast Shafts - Dillard.
Forty9Designs.com - Arneson, Bumgardner.
Fuel Safe Racing Cells - Mahder.
GRT Race Cars - Arneson.
Hooker Custom Harness - Kates.
Integra Shocks & Springs - Myers.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts - Ritchie.
Keyser Manufacturing - Smith.
KSE Racing Products - Smith.
Out-Pace Racing Products - Bunkelman.
QA1 - Bleess.
Real Racing Wheels - Bumgardner, Kudick, Simons, Hughes.
Simpson Performance Products - VanderBeek.
Sweet Manufacturing - Hughes.
Swift Springs - VanderBeek.
Sybesma Graphics - VanderBeek.
Tire Demon - Fuller.
Tyler Rinken Photography - Kudick.
VP Racing Fuels - Ramirez.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products - VanderBeek.
Wilwood Engineering - Mullen.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Argo Manufacturing, Casey's General Stores, Chix Gear Racewear, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Fast Shafts, Intercomp, KSE Racing Products, Leaf Racewear & Safety Equipment, Malvern Bank, MSD, Pace Performance, RacerWebsite.com, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, S&S Fishing & Rental, SToK Cold-Brew Coffee, Summit Racing Equipment, The Joie of Seating, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, ElbowsUp.com, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Oreo, Production Jars, Rancho Milagro Racing, RHRSwag.com, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, BigDeal Car Care, BSB Manufacturing, Day Motor Sports, Dickson Racing Shocks, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Holley Performance Products, Hooker Custom Harness, Integra Shocks & Springs, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, Keyser Manufacturing, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1 Precision Products, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wehrs Machine & Race Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.